The joint forces’ top ranks have called on authorities to comply and cooperate with them.
In Porgera, Superintendent Norman Kambo told EMTV News that those in authority, including politicians and developer Barrick, should help them curb the lawlessness in Porgera.
Superintendent Kambo said so far that the operation was successful and on target.
He was, however, unhappy about a media report stating that 200 houses were burnt in a raid last Friday, clarifying that 20 huts housing illegal miners were destroyed by the joint forces.
Contingent Commander, Chief Superintendent Norman Kambo, told EMTV News today that the operation is on target and more raids will be conducted to evict illegal miners in and around the Special Mining Lease areas in Porgera.
With just a month to go, Superintendent Kambo thanked the local communities and respective leaders for assisting with information.
The Joint Security Forces carried out a dawn raid on the Wigima Ridge in the Special Mining Lease area last Friday.
The raid was to confiscate illegal mining gear, remove huts, and advise them to return to their respective villages.
Superintendent Kambo confirmed that the raid destroyed over 20 bush material and semi-permanent houses, and not 200 houses, as claimed by local MP Nixon Mangape in media today.
Superintendent Kambo said a search warrant was obtained for that particular area before the raid was conducted.
During the raid, illegal miners were forced out of their homes, their houses torched.
The joint forces also discovered marijuana during the raid and mercury used to abstract gold.
Superintendent Kambo urged all those in authority, including politicians and the landowners, to assist the forces to curb the lawlessness in the mining township.
He said the Wigima Ridge raid is just the beginning of more raids to come.
Kambo said the joint forces will stop at nothing to accomplish the mission they have been tasked with, and that’s to put an end to illegal mining in Porgera within 3 months.
error: Content is protected !!