27.4 C
Port Moresby
June 15, 2021
Rugby League Sport

Brothers Secure Finals Spot in Port Moresby Rugby Football League

Share the News

The match on Sunday between the Brothers and Taranagau was a nail-biter – at stake, was the final spot in the 2019 grand final of the Port Moresby Rugby Football League.

There was no love loss for the two teams as they sized up in attack and defence, the Brothers surged up the middle with Prop Jordan Simon drawing in the defense, the next play saw five eighth Daru Wanpis Tuli step off his left foot before crashing into the tryline.
A successful conversion giving them the 6-0 lead, Tarangau however used their passing skills to find the centre Boas Minape for an unconverted try.

The scores were left 6-4 heading into half time, the coaches had much to say with both teams determined to get the win. The momentum remained with Tarangau in the second half; five eight Solomon Pokare and halfback Simon Alana led the attack, Alanas nifty grubber perfectly timed by Sipa Kaupa touching down for a try. Tarangau converted that try taking a 10-6 lead; determined, the Brothers came back strong, Tarangau falling short in scramble defence, Brothers Noni Bomai taking a side step to brush away defenders for a clean try.

The Brothers had taken a penalty kick earlier in the match and with the unconverted try, took a 12-10 lead, the end was in suspense, until referee Livingston Samson made a controversial call which led to the game going into disrepute, for almost 30 minutes.

There was less than 2 minutes of game time remaining on the clock, and with both teams deciding not to continue the match, the match was awarded to the Brothers, this was because they were in the lead and 98 percent of the match was played.

The two teams were issued fines of K1, 000 each for bringing the game into disrepute, and not in the interest of the game of rugby league.

“The score remained 12-10 and after the judiciary met on Monday the match was awarded to the Brothers, but both teams were fined K1, 000 each for bringing the match into disrepute,” stated Meke Maino, the leagues administrator.

The match referee was also given a charge as a result of his blunder on the field.

“The three match officials will be disciplined for the incident, but for the referee he will be heavily penalised for his actions which led to the disrepute,” Maino added.

Related posts

Barras Go Down To Sri Lanka

EMTV Online

Manters Win Port Moresby Easter Rugby Sevens Tournament

Stanley Ove Jnr.

Swimming – Blume wins Denmark’s First Swim Gold Since 1948

error: Content is protected !!