The Pacific Community, originally called the South Pacific Commission, today marked their 70th anniversary.
The Pacific Community is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947.
SPC is owned and governed by 26 country and territory members; Papua New Guinea included.
The Pacific Community was established on February 6, 1947, with the signing of the Canberra Agreement in Australia, between Australia, France, Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
Over its 70 years, the SPC has grown into one of the primary regional bodies contributing to the development of the Pacific Island Region.
Head quartered in Noumea, New Caledonia, with a regional hub in Suva, Fiji and offices in Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and the Federated States of Micronesia; SPC works across more than 20 sectors to support the development aspirations of member countries.
Sectors include Fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience and conservation of plant genetic resources for agriculture and food security.
According to SPC Director General, Dr. Colin Tukuitonga, the SPC recognises that development issues are complex and multi-dimensional, and cannot be solved by a sectorial approach alone, and by taking a multi-sectorial and integrated approach to responding to Pacific Islands’ development priorities, the organisation draws upon skills and capabilities from around the region and internationally.