Four policemen from the Central Task Force have been suspended following the attack of an EM TV news crew at 15 mile outside of Port Moresby.
Provincial Police Commander Chief Inspector Laimo Asi told EM TV News yesterday that the four men were suspended last Thursday.
Inspector Asi said they are yet to be arrested and charged.
Central Provincial Police Commander Chief Inspector Laimo Asi confirmed yesterday that the four suspended policemen were from the Central Task Force unit.
Inspector Laimo said they were identified and suspended last week Thursday.
He said they will be formally arrested and charged for assault, pending the interviews of the EM TV News crew.
The PPC condemned the actions of his officers, saying such conduct is not accepted in the force and all policemen and women should know the law by heart and uphold it.
The assault happened at 15 mile outside of Port Moresby early this month. The news crew were attending to a news tip-off concerning 6 suspects who were allegedly knifed while in police custody.
It was then that police officers from a highway patrol unit drove to the station, forced the cameraman to stop filming and delete the footage, while the reporter’s notebook was being ripped apart.
The crew were punched several times in the face by the cell keeper, who was believed to be under the influence of alcohol. The crew was released an hour later.
error: Content is protected !!