The Fire Service in Port Moresby has begun investigations after a rental property at Erima was set ablaze.
Eyewitnesses told EMTV News, the fire started minutes after a big explosion was heard. Properties were destroyed but with no human casualties.
Tenants were forced to remove properties as the blaze extended in the interior of the house. The fire service was called. Quick response from the Boroko Fire Service saw the blaze watered down before it could spread to the other rental units.
Residents said properties worth nearly K50, 000.00 were destroyed by the fire. No one was injured during the incident, but many were distressed by the close call.
The Fire Service believes the cause of the fire may be an electrical fault in one of the units. Officers say investigation into the incident has begun after collecting samples and reports from the residents and property owner.
Meanwhile, the Fire Service has urged property owners to follow proper building board requirements so chances of fire hazards are unlikely.