25.6 C
Port Moresby
August 6, 2021
News

Families At Tasion Barracks Halt Eviction

More than 200 families living at Tasion Barracks in Gerehu Port Moresby have voiced concern on the new road project from 9 mile to Baruni.

This morning, they mobilized to stop construction work after they were told to evict their homes. They have called for relocation before progress can be made on the road project.

 

Forthy six houses in Tasion Police Barracks will be affected by the construction of the four lane freeway.

 

Contractors have started initial work, but were stopped by the residents.

 

Divisional Commander for NCD and Central, ACP Jim Andrews met with the residents this morning to express his concern. Mr. Andrews say, these are institutional houses and will not be removed.

 

He said, he was not consulted and wants an open dialogue with relevant stakeholders of the project before any work can be carried out in the barracks.

 

The residents do not oppose the project, but have called for relocation and compensation for damages done to their properties.

 

The road project was launched last month by Prime Minister, Peter O’Neill. The project will see over 20 kilometers of road converted into a four lane freeway in 18 months. The road will run from Baruni to Gerehu and to Nine mile.

 

China Harbor Engineering Company will be working on the project at an estimated cost of K196 million, financed by the Chinese Government Concessional loan from the Exim Bank of China.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cMLXlJ9IBiI%3Ffeature%3Doembed%26wmode%3Dopaque%26showinfo%3D0%26showsearch%3D0%26rel%3D0

Related posts

National Soccer League News

EMTV Online

Minister Pok: No Gas Content for Local Use

Jack Lapauve Jnr.

Southern Highlands Prepares For Tournament

EMTV Online
error: Content is protected !!