By Julie Badui Owa – EMTV News, Lae
A sausage factory in Lae that was given a closure notice by Lae City Council Health Division to stop work three weeks ago, resumed operations on Wednesday, May 9 and continued yesterday.
The factory was ordered to close after a family raised concerns over waste from the factory that was disposed of onto their residential area.
The members of 2 Mile Community called on higher authorities to take the matter seriously before the situation gets worse.
The company trading as ‘Weng Sheng Limited’ was ordered to close by Lae City Council Health Division on the 17 of April, for not providing legal evidence to operate.
The health concern was raised last month by a family over waste from the sausage factory owned by a Chinese company being dumped into their residence for almost four years.
A formal complaint was reported to Lae City Council Health Division in 2014, but nothing was done. The matter was reported again this year. Two inspections were conducted but were not effective.
When the same concern was raised on media on April 11, the division issued a closure notice to the company on April 17.
Yesterday, EMTV News sought clarifications from the Health Manager, Godfrey Worio, who said that the division has attended to the situation, and have ordered the company to cease operations.
Health Inspector, Paul Wiwi, says the trading license was taken from the company when they issued the closure notice three weeks ago. Wiwi said if the company continues to operate, it is illegal and authorities will issue a permanent closure notice.