The alarming incidents of gender-based violence in the country have seen the need to address this issue at a national level.
The city of Port Moresby will make a stand to address the issue on Friday. A sit-in protest is organised for the day, where a petition will be presented, with the objective of a strategic plan for gender-based violence.
Ume Wainetti of the CIMC Family & Sexual Violence Action Committee, said gender-based violence is more than a woman and girl issue.
“Our boys are also in danger. A lot of young boys are being raped and also children aged 10 and below, are going for treatment at Family Support Centres” said Wainetti.
NCD Governor Powes Parkop expressed strongly today that violence against women is more than women and gender-based violence issues, it is a human rights issue that puts lives of women and girls at risk.
He said since the horrific incident that involved a vendor a week ago, they have been calling out for the government especially the Community Development Department, and the Minister to address this issue.
“The Papua New Guinea National Strategy to prevent and respond to gender-based violence has been ready since last year, it has to go to cabinet and cabinet can approve it so they can allocate adequate resources that are needed to deal with this and set up a structure,” said Governor Parkop.
Meanwhile, NCD Metropolitan Superintendent, Ben Turi, says the police have also been challenged by the Police Commissioner to stop violence against women.
The sit-in protest will be held on Friday of this week in front of the City Hall traffic lights up to the Manasupe building.
It is open to the general public and participants are asked to wear orange.
Pick up and drop off will be available at major bus stops on Friday morning beginning at 6am.