Image: Rescue workers and police remove a victim from a collapsed building following an earthquake in Lueng Putu, Pidie Jaya in the northern province of Aceh, Indonesia December 7, 2016 in this photo taken by Antara Foto. Antara Foto/ Irwansyah Putra/ via REUTERS
JAKARTA (Reuters) – Indonesian authorities said the death toll from a 6.5 magnitude earthquake that struck the northern province of Aceh on Wednesday has risen to 52.
The number of casualties was expected to rise and more than 70 people had been seriously injured, said national disaster management agency spokesman Sutopo Nugroho.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck just after 5 a.m. (2200 GMT Tuesday) at a depth of 17 km (11 miles) on Aceh’s northeastern coast. No tsunami warning was issued.
(Reporting by Agustinus Beo Da Costa; Writing by Kanupriya Kapoor; Editing by Robert Birsel)
Copyright 2015 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.