25.4 C
Port Moresby
June 15, 2021
Featured Momase News

429 Displaced Settlers of Lae’s Boundary Road Appeal to Return home

Share the News

More than 400 men, women and children displaced during a clash at Lae’s Boundary Road Settlement several months ago are seeking help.

They are appealing to customary landowners of Lae city to help them negotiate their return to their former homes.

Yugamu Nelly, speaking on behalf of the displaced families said they had tried all means to get support from authorities but to no avail.

Yesterday, the families met with the Paramount chief of Butibam Village, Malac Nathaniel, Lae MP, Loujaya Kouza, and Police to find a way forward for them to go back.

The 429 displaced settlers at Boundary road moved to the Morobe Governor’s official residence  on the 4th of September following clashes that started in October last year.

Several houses were burnt and at least three men were killed with others sustaining serious injury.

Yugamu Nelly, says they had tried to seek help from relevant authorities to return to their community but were unsuccessful.

Yesterday, they met with Lae MP, Loujaya Kouza, landowners, police and other relevant authorities to  discuss the matter.

The aim is to get help from the council of chiefs. They will facilitate talks to help them return to their former places of residence.

Women in the group are appealing to authorities to fast-track the talks. They said the living conditions are not fit for their children and families.

Related posts

New Britain Link In Progress

EMTV Online

Hoops for Health Nominated

Dinnierose Raiko

Country Mourns for Sir Michael Somare

Jana Zoriry
error: Content is protected !!