Image: The families protesting the eviction
Fifteen families living on a piece of land at Lae’s top town area staged a peaceful march to the Morobe provincial government yesterday to voice their frustrations after they were served an eviction notice.
The families who are not settlers nor squatters have been living on the piece of land for over 45 years.
They told EMTV they have been going to the Lands Department and were in the process of acquiring a title when a particular investor issued an eviction notice on them.
Up to 200 people living on the portion of land known as section 1, allotments 70 and 75 vented their frustrations after they were informed to vacant that portion of land.
Last week, Lae police tried to issue eviction notices to them. Residents say they were informed last Thursday.
Chairman of Ward 2 Lae Urban LLGG, Thompson Benguma, said the officers who served them the notice did not explain to them that it was an eviction notice.
They were told it was an eviction order and were told to sign it.
Benguma said there was no copy of the land title presented to them by the particular buyer to prove that he had bought the portion of land.
Nor were they informed about who sold the portion and who had made the purchases.
At this point, its not sure who owns the potion of land.
Between 2013 and 2016, there has been several evictions carried out by the National Housing Cooperation in Lae.
And there were instances where the Provincial Government took various parties to court over land grabbing.
The residents are calling on the National Government to explain why illegal land dealings are still happening though there were certain restrictions put on the acquiring of private properties.
The residents will be putting together a petition and will present to the Morobe Governor, Kelly Naru next week.