There is a group of contenders to challenge the incumbent Masiu. These are the 11 candidates for the South Bougainville seat.
Mr. Masiu, who nominated under the National Alliance Party, was shown solidarity by supporters who turned up in numbers from as far as Bana, Nagovis, Siwai and Torokina.
A convoy of vehicles decorated with banners with placard-holding supporters displayed their overwhelming support to the sitting MP.
They say Masiu showed good leadership within a short space of time.
Mr. Masiu won the South Bougainville By-Election in 2016 and is said to have delivered in the electorate in his eight months after taking office.
“We have seen changes for the first time and that is why we are supporting Mr. Masiu,” a local said.
This is the order of candidates’ draw:
- Nick Peniai | Box 10 | Peoples National Congress
- Raymond Kakaponi | Box 11 | Independent
- Timothy Masiu | Box 12 | National Alliance
- Albert Magoi |Box 13 | Peoples Progress Party
- Joseph Kim Suwamaru | Box 14 | PNG Party
- Herman Buago Laimo | Box 15 | THE Party
- Katu Andrew Osikore | Box 16 | New Generation
- Jacob Kiason Potoura | Box 17 | SOM Pioneer Party
- Peter Nerau | Box 18 | Independent
- Rose Pihei |Box 19 | Social Development Party
- Patrick Heromate | Box 20 | SOM Pioneer Party
- Michael Anugu | Box 21 | PNG Human Resource Party