By Meriba Tulo – EMTV News, Port Moresby
Chief Secretary to the Autonomous Bougainville Government, Joseph Nobetau, has expressed disappointment over the recent murder of a man in Buka.
Justin Tsibing, from Buin in South Bougainville, was found dead in the early hours of Saturday morning. This prompted a large group of people from Buin in South Bougainville to convoy up to Buka, demanding an apology, and compensation.
EMTV News has since learnt that a petition has been presented to the ABG President, Chief John Momis, by people from South Bougainville, following the murder.
This petition calls for several issues to be addressed, including;
- The Immediate and public condemnation of the murder by the ABG;
- A demand that the police take immediate action and that the suspects be arrested and charged;
- Ensuring that the suspects are brought to justice quickly, and that the full weight of the law is applied;
- Committing the ABG to assist with the cost of funeral arrangements and related expenses; and
- Publicly address this issue when the ABG Parliament next meets
The situation in Buka remains tense, with local authorities monitoring developments closely.