Families evicted by the National Housing Corporation Lae office have submitted a petition calling for a blanket ban on evictions in Lae and for an independent investigation to be carried out.
The eviction has left them displaced during the COVID Isolation Period.
The petition includes;
- A blanket ban on evictions in Lae;
- NHC to work with Lands Department to restore title back to long time tenants;
- Review all eviction exercises;
- A full independent investigation must be carried out into these eviction exercises;
- NHC Officers in Lae must step down;
- Lae police to stop carrying out eviction exercise without Met. Supt approval;
- Housing Minister must keep track of NHC Operations in Lae.
Lae MP and Minister for Lands, John Rosso was also present to hear their grievances at the meeting yesterday and is equally concerned about the recent eviction of families by NHC officers.
Rosso assured the tenants and their families that he would deliver their petition to Housing Minister Justin Tkatchenko.