Call for Sexual Abuse Cases to be given Priority

Spread the love

By Julie Badui Owa – EMTV News, Lae

Lae District Court Magistrate, Edward Kupo, stated during a court hearing yesterday, April 8, that sexual abuse cases are serious and priority should be given in handling these cases. Kupo said this after he adjourned the court hearing of an alleged sexual penetration case committed by a 50-year-old pastor against his niece in 2015 who was at the age of 11 then.

This is the third sexual abuse case on a minor just within three weeks that EMTV News has reported on in Lae.

Yesterday, a 50-year-old man appeared on a charge of sexual penetration on his 11-year-old niece in 2015. The girl was impregnated and later gave birth to a baby girl in 2016. Lae’s Sexual Offense Squad Police arrested and charged the defendant for sexual abuse of a child and abuse of trust.

Lae District Court Magistrate, Edward Kupo, adjourned the case to the 24th April for the police to review their charges.

According to Lae Police Sexual Offense Squad, cases of sexual penetration and abuse of trust by the offenders on the victims, especially minors below the age of 16 has risen since 2017.

Officer in Charge, Sergeant Mary Watah, stated that they deal with four to five cases of sexual offences in a week. Most cases are not reported.

Speaking to EMTV News last week Thursday, Morobe’s Provincial Police Commander, Alex N’Drasal, also confirmed that sexual offences have increased in the Province.

PPC N’Drasel said more collaborative approach needs to be taken to by the Government, Law and Justice Sector and public to find solutions that can aid in minimising sexual offences.