25.6 C
Port Moresby
April 23, 2021
Awareness Emergency News

PPE and Medical Items to the National Department of Health to Combat COVID-19

Share the News

The Red Cross and Red Crescent Movements donated Personal Protective Equipment and medical items to the National Department of Health to help fight COVID-19.

The Papua New Guinea Red Cross Society (PNGRCS) together with the movement partners, the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) are supporting the National Department of Health (NDoH) in the fight against COVID-19 with the donation of Personal Protective Equipment’s (PPE).

Papua New Guinea Red Cross Society Secretary General Uvenama Rova said, “…75 percent of the PPEs received from IFRC are donated to the Department of Health while the other 25 percent distributed to the staff and volunteers involved in the awareness campaign”.

The IFRC donated 3,750 Surgical Face Masks, 3,750 Hand Sanitizers, 1,500 Pairs of Examination Gloves, 750 Goggles, and 75 infrared thermometer guns.

The Red Cross movement partners are working closely with an objective to contain the spread of the virus through risk communication and community engagement on COVID-19.

Mr. Rova said, “With the increasing number of cases in the National Capital District, our effort is focused on schools and reaching out into communities.”

The IFRC Acting Head of Country Office, Dr. Ghulam Muhammad Awan said, “The Federation provides technical and financial support to National Societies around the world and offers capacity-building opportunities.

“We will continue to support PNG Red Cross in its fight against COVID-19…” Dr. Awan said.

The ICRC is also working closely with the authorities and PNGRCS.

The organization continues to respond to the urgent needs of people affected by the situation of violence, it is working in the Highlands and Bougainville to prevent or slow down the spread of infection and mitigate other risks arising from the pandemic.

ICRC Head of Mission Dominik Urban said, “The institution intends to distribute additional PPEs to public health care facilities in the areas of operation and deliver additional support to various correctional institutions in PNG.

Related posts

Ex-Morobe Land Board Member: Surveyor General Must Talk

EMTV Online

Prime Minister on September 11 Anniversary

Theckla Gunga

DWU celebrates 2015 Cultural Day

EMTV Online
error: Content is protected !!