In this episode:
We feature an overview of the 2017 General Elections with Electoral Commissioner Patilias Gamato.
We start off with a brief history of Electoral Commission.
We also give you an insight to the laws that govern the function of elections in the country.
Carrying out a national election is not a cheap exercise. Over the years we’ve seen an increase in election budget. Electoral
Commissioner Patilias Gamato gives us an insight to this year’s budget.
This year’s election also comes with a new twist; we highlight proposed legislative changes to the election laws.
Proposed Legislative Changes to Election Laws:
- Reduction of campaign period from 8 weeks to 4 weeks
- Separation of national and LLG elections
- Increase in nomination fee from K1000 to K10 000 for national elections and K200 to K1000 for LLG elections
- Increase in election filing fee from K5000 to K20 000
- Places for filing election petitions to be restricted to 4 with 1 per region
- Provincial Governments to conduct LLG elections
- Online registration (enrollment) of eligible voters
We also highlight the issue of illegal election behaviour and practices.
visit us at http://www.emtv.com.pg/ for the latest news…