25.4 C
Port Moresby
December 2, 2021
Featured Health News

Dr Sapuri : Doctors are Screened

By Jack Lapauve Jr, EMTV – Port Moresby

 

Former Chairman of the PNG Medical Board, Dr Mathias Sapuri, says foreign doctors working in the country have come through proper screening.

Dr. Sapuri says only two cases were isolated, and are unrelated to poor practicing in the country.

He says the new Medical Board Act will require all doctors, both national and foreign, to complete annual competency and examinations before practicing in the country.

According to Dr Sapuri, foreign doctors have had a huge impact on establishing and delivering health services across the country. Foreign doctors also established pioneer medical schools in the country.

The former Chairman of the PNG Medical Board says the board had not downplayed the allowing of poor medical practice in the country. Dr Sapuri also highlighted that the new Act the board will implement will be challenging for national doctors.

He says, this is to meet international standards.

The Act will be tabled in Parliament by the Health Minister.

According to Sapuri’s records, 20% of medical doctors in the country are foreigners. The other 80% are nationals.

Related posts

Opposition calls on government to introduce structural shift

EMTV Online

Indigenous to use media advocacy

EMTV Online

Pacific Journalists gets Information Dissemination training

EMTV Online
error: Content is protected !!