Polling nationwide is progressing well into eight days after some initial problems encountered.
Enga Province completed their polling on Saturday, June 30 while polling in Western Highlands was scheduled to take place yesterday, (Monday, July 2nd).
Papua New Guinea Electoral Commissioner, Andrew Trawen said it is expected that polling in Simbu will take place on July 06 and Eastern Highlands on July 09; however, these dates are subject to review based on weather, roads and the availability of security personnel to move from province to province.
Polling officially ends this Friday July 6 as per the 2012 election time table approved by the Governor General.
Meantime, counting of first preference votes is already underway in Southern Highlands.
He said counting for the National Capital District will start at 6pm today (July 3rd) and not July 6 as mentioned in some earlier reports.
Mr. Trawen outlines the regional progress reports on polling and counting as follows:
- Morobe – Australian Civilian Corps specialist conducting count training for counting officials in Lae on Sunday, July 01.
- Madang – polling continuing.
- East Sepik – polling continuing.
- West Sepik – polling continuing.
- Southern Highlands – Counting of first preference votes continuing in Mendi.
- Hela – Counting expected to start this week.
- Enga – Polling completed on Saturday June 30, while start of counting is yet to be confirmed.
- Western Highlands – Ballot boxes being packed and ready for distribution by chopper and road on Sunday July 01. Polling is very well organized with high level of activity and good security.
- Jiwaka – Preparations for polling are in progress.
- Western – Polling is progressing well and it is anticipated that polling will be completed in most areas by this week with counting expected to commence also by this week.
- Gulf – Polling activities in Central and East Kerema did not complete on Saturday June 30 and have continued on to Sunday July 01 because of adverse weather conditions making it difficult for 4 teams to reach Kotidanga LLG, and another in Kikori Open is experiencing the same. Polling is expected to be completed by Friday July 6 with counting being planned for on Monday July 9.
- NCD – Counting is expected to start Today, July 3.
- Central – Polling is proceeding well and is expected to be completed by this week
- Northern – Polling is also proceeding well and is expected to be completed by Friday July 6.
- Milne Bay – Finer weather is now helping with progress of polling. Polling is expected to be completed by Friday July 6 with counting to commence either on Monday July 9 or Tuesday July 10.
No progressive reports have been received at the time this media statement was released but reports on Saturday, June 30 indicate that polling is progressing well and is expected to be completed in all the provinces by Friday July 6.