by Marie Kauna – EMTV Online, Port Moresby
Sago recipes are common and are preapred throughout many parts of Papua New Guinea.
Sago provides a variety of recipes that are delicious, and very healthy for eating. This is one of the recipes using sago – sago balls with coconut flavour. To prepare sago balls, all you need is sago and coconut. This is how you go about it, a dish that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Thoroughly break down large pieces of sago using your hand into finer particles.
- Place sago into a bowl and add scraped coconut into the sago. Without using water, mix the two until they both mix well.
- Using your hand, scoop a little amount and start shaping it into ball round shapes. Continue doing this until all the sago is used and shaped into round ball shapes.
- While doing this, boil a pot. Once all sago is shaped and set, add into the boiling pot and leave to cook.
- Leave sago to cook for about 30 minutes. It can be more than 30 minutes depending on the amount of sago placed in the pot. Once cooked, remove pot and set aside.
- Serve into a clean dry bowl.
Once the sago ball is served into a clean dry bowl, you can add more coconut if you want, which in turn will add more flavour to its taste.
The sago ball is a quick recipe and easy enough for even the most basic of cooks to prepare. It is absolutely delicious, and goes well with any protein based soup.