News

Refugee Assault Case in Manus Court


by Jack Lapauve Jr – EM TV, Port Moresby

Chief Migration Officer and Administrator of the Manus Regional Processing Centre Mataio Rabura has made a formal statement on the assault of a refugee early this month.

Mr Rabura said they are aware of the incident involving the alleged assault of a refugee by three migration officers in Lorengau last Monday. 

He said the matter has been referred to the police and PNG’s legal process will take its course.

Rabura said if proven guilty, the immigration officers will be subjected to internal disciplinary proceedings.

The lone refugee was attacked inside the Harborside Hotel premises on June 1st by the migration officers.

He sustained no serious injuries but was rushed to the Manus Hospital for treatment.

Meanwhile more than 500 asylum seekers have had their refugee claims assessed and 129 have so far been determined to be refugees by the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Immigration.

40 of these have relocated to the East Lorengau Refugee Transit Centre where they are currently undertaking language and cultural orientation training. 

A recruitment agency has commenced working with them to assist with job readiness preparation and to help link them to appropriate jobs.  

They will be permitted to commence work once the National Executive Council endorses PNG’s National Refugee Integration Policy.

An announcement on this policy is forthcoming.  

Related posts

Port Moresby To Host FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup

EMTV Online

PNG Council of Churches Remain Steadfast

EMTV Online

Improving Health Delivery in Enga: Seventy Trained to be Health Workers

Vasinatta Yama

Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!