by Colleen Barilae – Emtv Lae
The father of a Polytech student, who died of electrocution last month, is now calling for investigation results on the cause of his son’s death.
Parent, Michael Eyal, questioned the Polytech Administration on the safety and protection of students at campus.
The deceased student was electrocuted by poly-insulated wires from a light pole.
Michael Eyal says he has not received any detailed explanations from the Polytech administration for his son’s death by electrocution at the institute campus on the early hours of 17th June this year.
According to a press release by Mr. Eyal yesterday, Polytech has confirmed there is an internal investigation.
It’s understood that the student was electrocuted after he touched a light pole in the campus nearly two weeks ago.
In the absence of PNG Power and Polytech representatives, the father of the deceased student told a press conference in Lae that the passing of his son has brought to surface again the poor state of the campus facilities.
Mr. Eyal says family and relatives of the late student claim that the institute did not engage experienced and certified electrical contractors to do maintainable work and it showed negligence.
Polytechnic Institute Director, Graham Bidang, who cannot comment on the issue today’says he has not received a copy of the press release from the deceased students’ family.
In the meantime, PNG Power cannot comment on the case, as they have not received a statement from the deceased student’s parent following claims by Mr. Eyal that he had sent a copy to the state owned enterprise.