By Daphne Rasehei and Rositta Liosi – EMTV Online
Around 600 million persons worldwide have some form of kidney damage. Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), predicted to increase by 17% over the next decade, is now recognized as global public health issue.
If detected early and managed appropriately, the deterioration in kidney function can be slowed or even stopped – yet awareness of kidney diseases is still very low and many people underestimate the vital role their kidneys play.
Last years’ campaigns have all been highly successful but this year the organizers of the World Kidney Day 2016 ‘Move your feet’ campaign urges everyone around the globe, from all cultures and ages, to keep fit and active.
The Campaign aims to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys to our health on a global scale.
“Move Your Feet” for World Kidney Day
• Go for a walk, swim, run, go play your favourite sport, walk the dog or take the stairs – get moving!
• Take a picture of your feet in action
• Share it on your social media accounts with the hashtag #moveyourfeet4wkd
If you need some inspiration, here you can find some tweet ideas:
1. Whenever I can, wherever I am, I get moving. #moveyourfeet4wkd
2. I run* for #WorldKidneyDay I join #moveyourfeet4wkd
3. I take care of my kidneys. I join #moveyourfeet4wkd #WorldKidneyDay
*replace with your favourite activity: I swim, I walk, I jump, I cycle…etc…
Dance With Us!
Do you feel creative and ready to dance?
Help raise awareness by showing your best moves and involve your children in the dance – this year World Kidney Day is dedicated to them!
Here is how:
• Play the song “Move Your Feet” by Junior Senior
• Film yourself or your kids doing their best dance moves to the song (30 seconds max, landscape mode)
• Upload your video here
The 10 best videos will be selected by the WKD team, mixed together and released after World Kidney Day on the WKD website.
For more information, check out the World Kidney Day Page.