26 C
Port Moresby
January 19, 2021
News

Measles Outbreak in Nations Capital

Share the News

A measles outbreak has been reported in Nations Capital.

The outbreak has been confirmed by the Health Department, after a seven year old child was admitted to the Port Moresby General Hospital

The Central Public Health Laboratory today revealed the measles outbreak in Port Moresby.

The seven year old child was admitted to the Port Moresby General Hospital this week, with a one day history of fever, rash, cough and conductivities.

NDoH’s Public Health Surveillance and Emergency Response Program Manager, Berry Ropa, said the child was not immunized.

However the matter is under control with investigations continuing.  

The patient was discharged and is now being monitored at home.

Parents and guardians living in and transiting Port Moresby have been advised to visit nearest health clinics. Vaccination is free of charge.  

NCD Health Services Director Dr Niko Wutai says the immunization activity will be conducted within the Waigani area.

All health facilities will give the measles vaccines and also report any suspected cases.

This is the second measles case detected in Port Moresby since 2006. Other cases were recorded in West Sepik last year and Western Province with nine confirmed cases.

Related posts

POM Soccer Competition

EMTV Online

Ministerial Declaration Signed for PDL 7 in Komo, Hela Province

Theckla Gunga

Nambawan Super Launches New Product For Rural Communities

EMTV Online
error: Content is protected !!