Rugby League Sport

Lahanis and Vipers Win in Port Moresby

by Skola Sengi – EM TV Sports, Port Moresby

In over a season, Port Moresby turned up in numbers to witness the first double header of the season at Murray Barracks.

Chances of a finals appearance by the two Port Moresby franchise teams hung on the fringes.

The Gulf Isapeas went down fighting in a narrow loss to the Goroka Lahanis; and the Rabaul Gurias suffered their second loss on the road at the hands of the Port Moresby Vipers.

Isapeas kicked-off and opened the score line; an unsuccessful conversion set the Ispaeas on a 4-point lead against Lahanis.

Lahanis Captain, Gonzella Urakusie, picked up a try to level the score line, 4 points all.

The boys from Goroka crossed the line twice, through second rower, Spiro Makaive, and five-eighth, Aumo Awute, and a successful conversion off the boot by Felix Tatsim.

Taking the score line for Lahanis up, 14 points to 6, before Isapeas Hooker, Gahuna Silas, added 4 points to the board in a 10-to-14 score line by half-time.

In the second-half, Isapeas managed to secure another try but went down to the Lahanis, 14 points to 16.

In the second match of the double-header, the Vipers season hung on the line. A loss to the Guiras will end their chances of a finals appearance.

Albert Patak, Samuel Hamari and Travis Waninara fell short of a try by a strong Vipers defence.

Vipers Winger, William Aquila, crossed the line in an opening on the fight to register first points on the board with a successful conversion, to lead the game, 6-nil.

Richard Kambo also crossed the line for the Vipers to an 8 point lead, holding Gurias scoreless in the first-half.

Utilising their speed on the wings, Gurias set Joe Tabutabu Jr to secure a try, and successful conversion narrowing the margin, to a 4 point lead for the Vipers. But, weren’t enough for the Gurias going down 10 points to Vipers 14.

In other matches, Mendi Muruks beat Simbu Lions, 20 points to 18, Waghi Tumbe went down 12 points to 14 at the hands of Wigman and Hagen Eagles toppled Enga Mioks, 30-18.

Related posts

2017 Morobe Open Continues into Day Two

SP Export Pukpuks Move Forward From Wellington

EMTV Online

Salvation Army’s 2015 Red Shield Appeal Successful

EMTV Online

Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!