A family residing in Port Moresby has lost all belongings after fire razed their home to ashes this morning. It is believe the fire started inside a room with a toddler who was playing with a match.
EMTV arrived at the scene moments later and witnessed the dreadful incident.
Residents along Boroko’s Angau Drive rushed to the scene to watch as the flames engulfing the building. Alone in the house were 2 elderly women and 4 children under the age of 5.
An old woman who was inside the house said, her grandchild was playing with a match in the bedroom when fire got hold of the mattress. She said, after that, flames went up and it was hard for her to move around and extinguish the fire in the house.
Neighbours forced their way into the house to rescue the elderly women and young children as flames and smoke covered the area.
Witnesses complained of fire fighters who were very slow in responding to the fire.
The owner of the house and fireman were reluctant to talk with EMTV for reasons unknown.
All properties were lost in the fire.