Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology Secretary Prof David Kavanamur said the outgoing Minister Malakai Tabar has done a lot for the department. He highlighted Tabar’s achievements:
- Passing and adaptation of the Higher Education Act 2014
- Completion and launching of the National Higher and Technical Education Plan 2015-2024
- Launching of the DHERST corporate Plan 2015-2017
- Passing of the Western Pacific University Bill in Parliament and establishment of the western pacific university in the Ialibu, SHP.
- Accreditation of new higher education institutions
- Handling of PNG UOG Crisis
- Establishment of new National Higher and Technical Education Board.
Outgoing Minister Malakai Tabar said that during his short term in serving as the minister responsible for human capital development in PNG, despite the challenges of resourcing access, equity and quality, he was pleased with the achievements he has achieved.
Incoming Minister Francis Marus acknowledged the achievements by the outgoing minister and said that in the remaining nine months, he will re-commence 2016 academic programs amongst his high priorities as minister.
While handing the portfolio over, the emotional Minister Tabar wished the new minister well in handling a complex ministry.