By Theckla Gunga – EM TV News, Port Moresby
Four of the six PNG Defence Force soldiers implicated in the death of a student in Port Moresby last year were re-arrested last Thursday.
This comes after their court case was stuck out on technical grounds, by the Waigani Committal Court on March 16 .
NCD and Central Divisional Commander, Sylvester Kalaut, confirmed the re-arrest this afternoon.
The four soldiers were brought to the Boroko Police Station by the Military Police.
They were re-arrested for murder and their files served.
The other two will be re-arrested tomorrow as both were out on training when the other four were apprehended.
The six soldiers are Francis Nasi, Jude Nidung, David Tappe, Kenneth Yangun, Tabias Samson, Gregory Tuaki and Alwin Matiabe.
They are all between the ages 25 and 26.
It was alleged that on July 25 last year, the six mistook the late Jeremiah Yinu for a student of Kilakila Secondary school, and badly assaulted him.
Yinu was taken to Port Moresby General Hospital but died a few days later.
Their case was first mentioned at the Waigani Committal Court in August 2015, and the six were allowed out on bail.
On March 16 this year, their case was struck out by magistrate John Kaumi because police prosecutors did not compile court files on time.
However, NCD and Central Divisional Commander, Sylvester Kalaut, told media that the delay was due to police awaiting two medical reports from doctors who worked on Yinu, and that the case would be reactivated.
Kalaut said the case will return to court for a fair trial on the grounds that the medical reports showed that Yinu died as a result of the assault.
The four soldiers are now in police custody and bail has been refused.