26.7 C
Port Moresby
July 3, 2022
News

Five Thousand Schools Miss Out on Fee Free Tuition Scheme

Only eight thousand out of the thirtheen thousand schools in the country will have funds released to their accounts under the Fee Free Tuition policy.

 

This was revealed by Education Secretary, Dr. Michael Tapo in an interview with EMTV today.

 

Dr. Tapo said the other five thousand registered schools might receive their payments later on in the year.

 

Out of the 13,600 registered elementary, primary and secondary schools, only 8 thousand have all the correct information required to have funds channeled to their bank accounts.

 

Treasury is expected to release K302 million tomorrow, which is half of what has been earmarked for 2014.

 

Education Secretary, Dr. Michael Tapo in an interview, told EMTV that those who miss out in the first payout have themselves to blame for not providing all the necessary information.

 

For the year 2014, the National government has appropriated K605 million for the implementation of the Fee Free Tuition education policy.

 

The department has decided to deliver part of that money in commodity components and part in cash in order to achieve quality education.

 

Whilst it is tasked to deliver the massive K605 million this year, the department is yet to acquit for the K581 million which was paid out to schools as the cash component under the free education policy in 2013.

 

Secretary Tapo has set a deadline for April 2014 for all schools that benefitted from that policy last year to have all the acquittals in by then.

 

The five thousand schools that will miss out on the first payout have been asked to make sure all the account details are correct and all school census information is up dated.

Related posts

Fighting Crime With Lae Metropolitan Superintendent Wagambie Jnr.

EMTV Online

Treasury signs Capacity Development Agreement

EMTV Online

NDOH Releases COVID-19 Fact Sheet

error: Content is protected !!