By Meriba Tulo – EMTV News, Port Moresby
Electoral Commissioner Patilias Gamato has welcomed investigations into the conduct of the 2017 National General Elections.
In a media statement yesterday (July 5), Mr Gamato said repeated calls and accusations by political leaders against the Electoral Commission and himself, as Commissioner, could not go unchallenged. He provided a detailed response on several issues, including the 2017 National General Election Report on;
- 2017 Election Petitions;
- Staff engaged in election work;
- Electoral Roll;
- Cost and printing of 2017 Ballot Papers;
- Cost of 2017 National Election;
- SHP Provincial/Regional Seat and Gumini Open Seat;
- New Improvements and Initiatives;
- New Corporate Plan and its Strategic Designs;
- Legislative Changes to Organic Law on National Elections (OLNE);
- Proposed Organizational Structure; and the
- 2018 LLG Election.
Mr. Gamato said all records on how the 2017 national general election was conducted are visible and available, and the PNGEC has nothing to hide, emphasizing that the Electoral Commission is a constitutional office and it did its best in running the 2017 polls.