The Hagen Eagles have been banned from the Intercity Cup competition for three years – 2017 to 2019. This follows the incident where an official from Hagen Eagles attacked the referee during the semi-final match against Agmark Gurias on August 27, 2016.
PNGNRL made this known today after a board meeting was held last week Friday at the Gateway Hotel in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
After detailed analysis, based on the judiciary recommendations with consultation to the competition rules and regulations, as well as assessing the situations and circumstances present, the PNGNRL board agreed on the following penalties to be handed down.
“The team was suspended from taking part in the Digicel Cup competition for the next 3 years” said Stanley Hondina.
Hondina said the official who instigated the brawl has been banned for life, while two Eagles players also face suspension that could see the end of their Rugby League career.
“The third placed prize money is to be forfeited to meet the cost of damages done on that day, the team assistant trainer Stanley Akinu was banned for life to partake in any PNGNRL sanctioned competition or never to be seen at least 50 meters from anywhere these matches are played,”
“Team player # 10 Francis Ray was suspended for 10 years both as a players and official in any PNGNRL sanctioned competitions , team player number 4 and captain, Junior Rau, was suspended for 10 years as a player and official in.”
Civil charges have been laid against Stanley Akinu, and Junior Rau, and is now a police matter. Details will be disclosed when PNGNRL know the outcome of the case.
PNGNRL has also charged four Agmark Gurias players for player’s misconduct. They have been charged a fine of K5,000 each and a five match suspension starting next season, 2017.
The Gurias players are Francis Paniu, Samuel Hamari, Lucas Kapinias and Adrian Baungus.
Players and team officials have the opportunity to appeal against the decisions made.