Fish is an important staple food throughout the coastal regions of Papua New Guinea. Not only does the sea abound with fresh delights, the river system here in PNG is also full of a variety of fresh seafood.
Fish dishes are easy and quick to cook, packed with good amounts of protein, and low in fat.
An easy and tasty fish dish is Curried Fish:
- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Small piece of fresh ginger chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- 2 large green or red chilli thinly sliced
- 2 coconuts grated and milked
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 large tomato, sliced in wedges
- 1 kg of fish fillets of your choice of two medium sized fish chopped into pieces
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add ginger, onion, and garlic and ground chili.
- Fry for about 5 minutes or until onions are slightly brown.
- Add ½ cup of coconut milk and bring to a slight boil. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
- Add curry powder. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining coconut milk, and bring to a slight boil.
- Add the tomato and salt.
- Cut fish into serving pieces and add to the mix. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve fish over rice or have with sweet potato.