32 C
Port Moresby
April 11, 2021
International

China makes five more arrests over deadly Shenzhen landslide -Xinhua

Share the News

Image: Rescue workers work nearby a damaged house in the industrial park hit by a landslide in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China December 22, 2015. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

 SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Chinese police have arrested five more officials of a company involved in a deadly landslide that buried 77 people last month, state news agency Xinhua said, taking the tally of arrests to 16.

The government has blamed breaches of construction safety rules for the disaster in the southern city of Shenzhen on Dec. 20, when a dump overflowed and destroyed 33 buildings.

A State Council investigation said it was caused by work safety mismanagement, rather than geological causes.

Eleven people, including a legal representative and a deputy manager of Shenzhen Yixianglong Investment Development, which ran the dump, and officials responsible for supervising it, were arrested this month. [nL3N14L0TQ]

All 16 have been charged with negligence, Xinhua said on Friday, citing a Shenzhen prosecutor.
Calls to Shenzhen Yixianglong Investment Development were unanswered.

The disaster is the latest accident to raise questions about China’s industrial safety standards and lack of oversight over years of breakneck economic growth.

(Reporting by Brenda Goh; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Copyright 2015 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.

Related posts

After hot rally, solar shares turn ice cold

EMTV Online

Japan Allows Military to be Deployed Overseas

EMTV Online

Centuries-old Spanish tapestry factory saved from bankruptcy

Reuters
error: Content is protected !!