25 C
Port Moresby
April 23, 2021
Business International

Boeing to Cut 747-8 Production in Half, Take Fourth-Quarter Charge

Share the News

Image: A Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 touches down at Dulles International Airport outside Washington for the first time June 1, 2012. REUTERS/Larry Downing

 

By Alwyn Scott

(Reuters) – Boeing Co. said on Thursday it will cut production of its 747-8 jumbo jet in half and take a $569 million charge in the fourth quarter to account for the change.

The move will help Boeing keep the 747-8 production line running in the face of dwindling sales. The four-engine jet is now mostly a cargo workhorse, eclipsed by more fuel-efficient twin-engine jets. But it also will be used to upgrade the U.S. Air Force One presidential fleet.

“The air cargo market recovery that began in late 2013 has stalled in recent months and slowed demand for the 747-8 freighter,” Ray Conner, chief executive of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, said in a statement.

Boeing said it will cut output to half a plane a month in September, down from a target of one a month that it will reach in March. Boeing had already announced plans to cut production to one a month from 1.3 a month currently.

The after-tax charge of $569 million, or 84 cents a share, will be taken in the fourth quarter of 2015, Boeing said. Before tax, the charge amounts to $885 million. Boeing said the charge will not affect 2015 revenue or cash flow.

(Reporting by Yashaswini Swamynathan in Bengaluru; Editing by Sayantani Ghosh, Bernard Orr)

Copyright 2015 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.

Related posts

N.Korea may be readying long-range missile launch soon – Kyodo

EMTV Online

Global health experts accuse WHO of ‘egregious failure’ on Ebola

EMTV Online

Fukushima’s Ground Zero – No Place for Man or Robot

EMTV Online
error: Content is protected !!