24 C
Port Moresby
March 3, 2021
Islands News

Awesa visits WNB Washed away bridges

Share the News

by Jack Lapauve Jnr – EM TV, Port Moresby

Works Minister, Francis Awesa, says West New Britain will receive high priority in terms of receiving restoration for washed away bridges and roads.

Minister Awesa made this statement following his visit to the two bridges Tiaru, and Ivule yesterday.

Awesa said West New Briatin province is a key contributor to the country’s economic growth.

He said Works Secretary, David Wereh, has wrote to Treasury Department to release the K35 million that was allocated in the 2015 budget. He said upon that release, work should commence with temporary bridges for Tiaru, Ivule and Buluma bridges.

Meanwhile, Bialla town is inaccessible and people travelling there have been left stranded for almost two weeks now.

Currently, business houses and government agencies are using barges to transport goods and services.

West New Briatin Governor, Sasindran Muthuvel, says relief assistance from the government must be processed so that the affected people are helped.

Flood has caused damages to homes and food gardens. As for human casualties, there has been only two reported deaths so far, during the flooding.

Over K100,000 has been received in donations, and more are coming in.

Minister Awesa will return in four weeks, to see the progress of the work. Materials for a temporary bypass bridge is currently in Lae and will be shipped to Kimbe for construction to take place.

Minister Awesa and Secretary David Wereh will be flyout to Madang today, and then Lae, to view the extent of damages done to roads and bridges there.

Related posts

K8m Cut on ABG 2016 Budget

EMTV Online

Maru Welcomed by Staff and Management

EMTV Online

Colombia’s last nomadic tribe in despair at loss of culture

EMTV Online
error: Content is protected !!