by Marie Kauna – EMTV Online, Port Moresby
A two day awareness workshop on Global Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals began today in Port Moresby.
The workshop is aimed at collecting innovative ways and sharing information on Global Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals. Judging by the presence in the room, it has gathered various government representatives and agencies.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), in partnership with Papua New Guinea’s Department of National Planning and Monitoring, are working together to support and achieve the proposed outcomes.
However, to achieve these outcomes and successfully facilitate the implementation of SDG’s in Papua New Guinea; there is a need for active interaction and participation from various groups including the government.
With this aim at hand, the workshop today brought together various government department representatives and agencies to participate in the workshop.
The discussion points scheduled today included;
- Overview of the Global 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Transitioning from MDG’s to SDG’s PNG Experience – Status progress, challenges and opportunities
- SDG’s in Papua New Guinea – How are we approaching it?
- Linking the SDG’s to PNG’s National Development Strategies – Vision 2050, StaRS, MTDP II
- Rapid integrated Policy Assessment: PNG’s SDG target level profile
- Plenary to be led by following agencies and
- Critical reflection: forward looking for localisation, mainstreaming and implementation of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
Discussions generated today will allow the creation of innovative ways that could help take SDG forward in the country.
UN Resident Coordinator, Mr Roy Trivedy, in his opening remarks, said the implementation of these goals can be achieved if the government, civil society groups and the business communities all work together.
Secretary of the Department of National Planning and Monitoring, Ms Hakaua Harry, in her speech, commended UNDP for the initiative taken and urged all participants to actively participate and contribute innovative ideas and ways that could best help in implementing the goals in the country.
The workshop will end tomorrow.