by Juanita Nonwo – EM TV Online
Coconut cream is a part of the Papua New Guinean cooking culture; a meal is not tasteful unless it’s cooked in coconut cream.
From these nuts come highly rich and nutritious fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B2, B5 and B6; and minerals such as iron, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. Coconut creams also contain chemicals that help your body to fight diseases.
Things you will need:
- Prawns (you can get them from the local seafood market or you can buy from supermarkets such as the TST group of stores, Stop and Shop and other shopping centres.
- Broccoli (depending on your preferences, but half a kilo would do).
- K2 worth of potatoes (it’s better to buy the fresh ones from the market then from the shops as the quantity varies much, once again the amount depends on your preference).
- 3 medium sized carrots (if you love carrots, you can add more).
- Coconut cream/milk: you can buy a K1 coconut from the market, but if you’re someone who doesn’t have time, you can always get the powdered cream from any supper-markets which would roughly be about K5.
- Round onions (1 would do).
- Salt, Maggie cube seasoning
- Ginger and garlic (according to your own preference but the best deal are the K1 ones at the market).
- Corn (you can buy them from local grocery shops/super markets or from the local markets.
- Vegetable oil
The first thing you do is fix out the coconut cream – make sure to have enough milk for 3 usages. Then fix the corn and the potatoes, wash them out and place them into separate pots and let boil in coconut cream until cooked, then place in a dish to cool.
Clean the prawns and place in a pot of water and leave to boil until cooked.
Then prepare the vegetables (broccoli and carrots sliced to however size/shape you like), ginger, onions, and grate the garlic.
When the vegetables are ready, place the broccoli and the carrots into a pot and wait for the water to warm up just enough to steam the broccoli and the carrots then drain out the water and remove the vegetables to a bowl.
Take the boiled prawns from the pot and remove the outer shells (having it boiled makes it easy to separate the flesh from the shells).
Pour in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a pan and set the flame just enough to heat up the oil. Add in the garlic and then prawns. Stir for 2 minutes then add in the broccoli and the carrots, followed by the ginger and the onion and some salt. Stir for another 2-5 minutes then add half a cup of coconut cream. Cover for 2 minutes or so until the cream thickens making sure the vegetables are not over cooked; then remove from the stove.
Place into a bowl or dish and sprinkle the Maggie cube evenly turning the vegetables from the bottom up.
The work is now done, you may serve the potatoes and corn onto the plates then add the vegetables next.
Your colourful dinner is now ready to be eaten!